- 2 tablespoons lard or coconut oil
- 1 cup finely chopped organic onion
- 1 cup finely chopped organic carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped organic celery
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 pound sprouted lentils
- 1 cup chopped organic tomatoes (or 1 15oz. can organic diced tomatoes)
- 2 quarts homemade or organic chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place lard or oil in a large Dutch oven and set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and salt.
- Stir until onions are translucent, about 5–7 minutes.
- Add lentils and rest of ingredients.
- Stir to blend.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30–40 minutes.
- Serve chunky or puree with a stick blender.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and a dollop of fresh sour cream.
It’s that wonderful time of year when soups and stews are a welcome fare to warm us and fill us with contentment on a cold day. Here’s a simple and delicious recipe that’s great by itself or served with sausages and cheese on crusty sprouted sourdough bread or hearty sprouted crackers.
Share this Recipe