Buttermilk Yeast Rolls
- 1 package Active Dry yeast
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1/2 cup melted lard
- 4 cups sprouted red or white wheat flour Can also use sprouted Kamut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Celtic salt
- 1 cup whole organic buttermilk + 1 tablespoon, as necessary
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a mixing bowl.
- Add buttermilk, sugar, and lard. Mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add to yeast mixture, mixing well.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. (about 4 minutes in electric mixer).
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough into 1 ½-inch balls and place in 2 buttered 9" round glass or ceramic pans.
- Let rise in a warm place (85 degrees) about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Share this Recipe