Sour Dough English Muffins
- 3/4 - 1 cup of sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon maple sugar
- 1 1/4 cups filtered water
- 2 cups sprouted red wheat flour
- 2 cups sprouted wheat or spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- All of preferment
- Make the preferment 14–18 hours before mixing the dough. Leave out on counter.
- Mix the dough: Mix baking soda and salt into preferment. Knead in 1 to 2 cups of flour; stop adding flour as soon as dough is workable.
- Do a quick knead for 5 minutes. Do not add too much flour! This can be sloppy.
- Flour your work surface and roll out dough with a rolling pin until about ½ to ¾ inch thick.
- Cut out muffins with a cookie cutter or inverted glass; place on cornmeal-sprinkled parchment.
- Cover and keep somewhere warm; let rise for 1 hour – longer if they are not warm.
- Preheat frying pan on medium low. When you add butter it should sizzle.
- Butter your pan MINIMALLY.
- Cook muffins 4 minutes – down side should get brown.
- Flip muffins and depress SLIGHTLY if needed to flatten down side.
- Cook 4 minutes on other side.
- Adjust stove heat if muffins cook too fast/slow.
Share this Recipe