Sprouted Skillet Cornbread
- 2 cups sprouted yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large pastured or organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole fat organic buttermilk or kefir
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sprouted cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Stir until well blended.
- Add the eggs and buttermilk. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended and smooth.
- In a 9-10" cast-iron skillet heat the bacon grease, add it to the cornmeal mixture, and stir until well blended.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet, place the skillet in the oven, and bake until the cornbread is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn the cornbread out onto a serving plate of serve directly from the skillet, cutting it into small wedges.
- Bring out the butter! Lots of butter!
Share this Recipe