Sprouted Lentil Chicken Soup
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat, butter, or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium stalks Celery diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups TYH Sprouted Lentils
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- grated parmesan or romano cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat the fat in the bottom of a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook until the tomato paste darkens and sticks a bit to the bottom of the pot, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken broth and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and add the chicken. Cover and continue cooking for 1 hour, checking periodically to make sure the soup isn’t bubbling too vigorously. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken and return it to the pot. Taste and season as needed. Serve with cheese sprinkled over the top.
Share this Recipe
Slow Cooker Sprouted Green Pea Soup
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh parsley + 8-10 Parsley Stems
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Pound Sprouted Green Peas Soaked overnight to rehydrate (drain well)
- 1 Large Leek White and light green party only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 Stalks Celery Chopped
- 2 Carrots Chopped
- Sea Salt and Ground Pepper
- 1 Smoked Turkey Leg 1-1 1/2 Pounds
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Frozen green peas thawed
- Crusty Sprouted Bread For serving (optional)
- Tie the parsley stems and thyme together with kitchen string and place in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the peas, leek, celery, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the turkey leg and 7 cups filtered water. Cover and cook on low until the peas and meat are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Discard the herb bundle. Discard the skin and bones from the turkey leg and shred the meat. Vigorously stir the soup to break up the peas and make the soup smoother. Stir in the chopped parsley and about ¾ of the turkey meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon yogurt onto the soup. Top with the thawed peas and the remaining turkey. Serve with bread if desired.
Share this Recipe