Jose’s Black Beans and Rice
- 1 pound sprouted black beans
- 6 thick bacon slices, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Fried Plantain and Mojo
- 1 plantain, cut into ½" cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 7 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Hot cooked sprouted brown rice
- Prepare Beans: Place beans in a large Dutch oven; add filtered water to depth of 2 inches above beans. Bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 8–10 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels; reserve drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add onion, 3 garlic cloves, and red bell pepper to hot drippings; cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add stock, next 3 ingredients, and beans; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Plantain: Melt lard to depth of 1 inch in a 10" cast–iron skillet; heat to 340 degrees.
- Fry plantain 2–3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Prepare Mojo: Stir together 2 garlic cloves and next 3 ingredients.
- Heat ½ cup olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat 2 3 minutes; whisk into juice mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare Sofrito: Pulse 7 garlic cloves and next 3 ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Saute garlic mixture in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil (or coconut oil) in a medium saucepan over medium–high heat 5–7 minutes.
- Add paprika and next 3 ingredients; sauté 1 minute.
- Spoon desired amount hot cooked sprouted brown rice onto individual serving plates. Top each with 1 cup black bean mixture and 1 tablespoon Sofrito.
- Drizzle each with a tablespoon Mojo. Sprinkle with bacon and plantain cubes.
Share this Recipe
Wilmington Squash Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 scallions chopped in a dutch oven or soup pot saute scallions in butter for 2 minutes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2-3 lbs organic butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lb naturally cured ham
- 1 15 oz. can organic diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add these ingredients to the scallions and cook on low for 5 minutes. NOTE: Since red peppers are out of season I use roasted red peppers from the grocery. A small jar works fine. Make sure they aren’t marinated.
- Add these ingredients to your pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about an hour. NOTE: I cut my squash in half, brush with coconut oil, place cut–side down on a roasting pan and bake about 25–30 minutes on 350 degrees. Makes peeling and chopping much easier than handling raw squash
Share this Recipe