Caramelized Onion Sourdough Biscuits
- 1-2 tablespoons organic butter
- 1 medium organic sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon muscavado sugar (or other brown sugar)
- 1 cup sprouted red or white wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted organic butter
- 2-3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed
- Combine the butter, onion, and sugar in a pan set over medium-low heat.
- Cook the onions, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes; they should be nicely caramelized.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Work the butter into the flour until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- Toss in the chives and caramelized onions. Cut in the starter until the dough becomes cohesive.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over on itself 5 or 6 times, until it comes together. Pat out to a 1" thickness.
- Using a sharp biscuit cutter, cut biscuits.
- Bake biscuits for 15-18 minutes until just turning golden brown.
Share this Recipe