Poppy Seed-Swiss Cheese Batter Bread
- 3 1/2 cups sprouted white wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple sugar
- 1/3 cup cup cold butter, cut in pieces
- 2 cups (8 oz.) grated Swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons (whole fat) milk
- 2 teasoons prepared mustard
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in cheese and poppy seeds.
- Make a well in the center of mixture.
- Combine eggs, milk, and mustard. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (After 50 minutes you can tent the loaf with aluminum foil to prevent over browning on top.)
- Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Yield one loaf.
Share this Recipe