Emily’s Mom’s Sticky Buns
Preparing the topping
- 1/2 butter, melted
- 1 cup muscovado sugar
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 cup crispy pecans or 1 1/2 cups shredded organic coconut (or combination)
Making the dough
- 5 1/2-6 1/2 cups organic sprouted wheat flour (or combination sprouted wheat and spelt flour)
- 3/4 cup muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 3/4 tsp dry active yeast (3 packets)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup warm filtered water
- 3 pastured eggs
- 2 tbsp extra butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sap sugar or sucanat
- Butter 2 9" square or round pans
- Make topping: heat butter, sugar and maple syrup in a saucepan to dissolve sugar. Pour into 2 greased pans. Sprinkle with pecans and coconut.
- Make dough: mix 1 ¼ cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add soft butter using mixer. Gradually add water and beat 2 minutes on medium. Add eggs with ¼ cup flour and beat 2 minutes on high.
- Add remaining flour to dough; knead 8-10 minutes. Half dough.
- Lightly flour surface. Roll out dough with rolling pin to approximately 9"x14" rectangle.
- Brush on half of extra butter and sprinkle on coconut sap sugar.
- Roll from short end to get tube 9" long. Cut into 1" buns.
- Place buns into pans close together with sides touching. Let rise about 2 hours – keep warm and covered.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20–25 minutes.
- Invert onto plate immediately upon removing from oven. Apply all yummy goo to buns that might have stuck to the pans.
Note: Sometimes topping overflows in oven; but beware putting bun pans on another surface as this takes away heat from the tops of the buns. Place a drip pan on lower rack instead.
Share this Recipe