- CourseBreakfast, Dessert, Holiday Recipes, Pies & Pastries
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped pitted dates (about 12 ounces)
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup organic butter, softened
- 1 cup sprouted flour (your choice)
- 1 cup sprouted rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine dates, water, and maple syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook 12 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently (will resemble jam). Stir in zest. Let cool completely.
- Beat sugar and butter at medium mixer speed until smooth.
- Place flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix slowly until crumbly.
- Press 2 cups of the flour mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9” glass or ceramic baking dish that’s been lightly buttered. Spread date mixture over flour mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining flour mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and store in a cookie tin between layers of wax paper.
Share this Recipe