Hearty Bean and Barley Soup
- CourseSoups & Stews
- 2 pounds sprouted navy beans soaked overnight in water to rehydrate and drained
- 2 quarts homemade or organic beef stock
- 1 quart homemade or organic pork stock can substitute chicken stock
- 1 cup sprouted barley berries soaked overnight in water to rehydrate and drained
- 1 ham hock
- 2 cups cups coarsely chopped ham (nitrite/nitrate–free)
- 1 pound organic ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 large organic onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 organic carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Place beans and stocks in a large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add all other ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 2 ½ - 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
This soup gets nice and thick. Add water or stock if you prefer a thinner consistency.
Great served with cornbread covered with melted cheddar cheese.
Share this Recipe