Chef Banjo’s Sprouted Tortillas Two Ways
- 2 cups sprouted white wheat flour (try sprouted sorghum flour for a gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup naturally rendered lard
- 3/4 - 1 cup hot filtered water (115-130 degrees)
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and lard in a stand mixer with a paddle.
- Mix until it resembles a coarse cornmeal mixture.
- With a dough hook add water to mixture. Mix for 4-6 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl onto a floured surface.
- Divide dough into 1 oz. portions. Roll into balls and cover with a clean towel to rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium high (dry).
- Press each ball of dough using a tortilla press or rolling pin (silpat works great for a non-stick surface to roll tortillas) making them very thin, about 6-7" in diameter.
- Place each tortilla, one at a time into a dry hot skillet and cook until a speckled golden brown.
- Replace 2 cups of sprouted white wheat or sorghum flour with: • 1 1/2 cups sprouted white wheat or sorghum flour • 1/2 cup sprouted black bean flour or sprouted garbanzo bean flour • Pinch of cayenne pepper
Share this Recipe