Banjo’s Easy Sprouted Tortillas
- 2 cups sprouted ancient grain mix (See recipe notes below for alternative flours)
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup naturally rendered lard, cold
- 3/4-1 cup hot water (115-130 degrees)
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and lard in a stand mixer with a paddle.
- Mix until you get a coarse cornmeal texture. Replace paddle with dough hook.
- Add ¾ cup of hot water to mixture. Mix for 4-6 minutes. If dough is dry add water 1 tablespoon at a time. You want the dough to be thick but easily pliable.
- Remove dough from bowl and onto a floured surface (preferably sprouted corn meal). Divide the dough into 1-ounce portions.
- Roll into balls, cover with a clean towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Press the dough balls using a tortilla press or roll them very thin using a well-floured rolling pin. I place a piece of plastic wrap between the top and bottom of my press to keep dough from sticking and tearing. When using my rolling pin I place a piece of plastic wrap over the dough ball before rolling out.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high. Place a tortilla in the dry pan and let cook until speckled golden brown; then flip and cook the other side (about 1 minute each side).
For a great flavor variation substitute 1/2 cup of Ancient Grain Baking Mix with Sprouted Black Bean Flour. Or you can use our Sprouted Gluten-Free Baking Mix.
Share this Recipe
Sprouted Lemon Cookies
- CourseCakes & Cookies
- 2 cups organic sprouted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 egg
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 cup ground pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together, then add egg and beat in well.
- Add lemon juice and zest and mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk salt, baking powder and flour until combined. Then add to wet ingredients, mixing until blended. Be careful not to overmix, or cookies will turn out less tender.
- Roll cookies out and cut into desired shapes. Place on parchment lined, ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges appear lightly golden.
- Combine glaze ingredients and whisk until smooth. Allow cookies to cool slightly before glazing. Drizzle on glaze and sprinkle with pistachios. Let cool completely before eating.
You may want to place cookies on a wire rack to glaze. This will allow you to completely cover the top with glaze. Use a cookie sheet under the rack to catch drips. Allow glaze to set before removing cookies from rack.
Share this Recipe