Banjo’s Cast Iron Sprouted Cornbread
- CourseBatter Breads, Bread
- 1 1/2 cups organic sprouted yellow corn meal
- 1 cup organic sprouted white wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup whole fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter to grease cast iron
- Place a 12” cast iron skillet in middle rack of oven and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet while in oven.
- In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg then add sour cream and buttermilk. Stir well until all is incorporated.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Add 6 tablespoons of melted butter and stir again just until mixed thoroughly.
- Remove skillet from oven and swirl the melted butter to evenly distribute in pan. Pour batter in skillet and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, slice and serve. Great with soups and stews and lots of butter.
Share this Recipe