Fried Chicken Skins
- 12 chicken skins (breast skins are easiest to work with). Thighs work well, too.
- 1 cup whole organic buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup good local honey
- 6 cups lard, beef tallow, or coconut oil
- 1 cup sprouted flour (your choice)
- 1 arrowroot
- • Sea salt and pepper to taste
- With a butter knife, scrape off excess fat from the skins.
- Place them in buttermilk with 1 tablespoon of hot sauce in a large zip lock bag.
- Marinate overnight.
- Mix together honey and remaining 2 tablespoons of hot sauce; set aside.
- Place fat in a Dutch oven. Heat slowly to 375°.
- Meanwhile mix flour and arrowroot in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Drain chicken skins and toss in the seasoned flour, making sure to coat evenly.
- Place the breaded skins in the oil, and fry until crispy and golden brown, around 2-4 minutes.
- Using a metal strainer or a slotted spoon, remove skins to paper towels to drain.
- Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle a small amount of the hot sauce and honey glaze over top.
- Serve remaining glaze on the side for dipping.
Share this Recipe