Julie’s Apple Cake
- 1/2 cup sprouted wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sprouted spelt flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Pinch of sea salt
- 4 large appes
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, preferably pastured
- 3/4 cup palm, date, or maple sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp each melted butter and coconut oil cooled to room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and adjust the oven rack to the center of oven.
- Heavily butter an 8- or 9-inch spring form pan and place it on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Peel and core the apples, then dice them into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy then whisk in the sugar, rum and vanilla. Whisk in half of the flour mixture, then gently stir in half of the melted butter mixture.
- Stir in the remaining flour mixture, then the rest of the butter mixture.
- Fold in the apple cubes until they are well-coated with the batter and scrape them into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the pan.
- Carefully remove the sides of the cake pan, making sure no apples are stuck to it.
Share this Recipe