Mushroom & Walnut Stuffing
- CourseHoliday Recipes, Sides & Salads
- 14 cups Sprouted bread, cubed (1/2-inch cube)
- 8 tablespoons Organic unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound Organic mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup Sherry
- 2 Medium organic yellow onions, chopped
- 5 Ribs organic celery, chopped
- 4 Cloves organic garlic, shopped
- 2-3 cups Home-made or organic chicken broth
- 4 large eggs, preferably organic or pastured
- 1/4 teaspoon Each, sea salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup Walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Fresh organic parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Each, fresh organic thyme and rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread cubed bread onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until dry but not toasted, stirring occasionally; about 30 minutes.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until tender and onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine bread cubes, mushroom mixture, walnuts, Swiss cheese, parsley, thyme, and rosemary. Toss gently to blend.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat combine 4 tablespoons butter and 2 cups chicken broth. Heat gently until butter melts. Whisk in eggs and 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt.
- Pour mixture over bread and gently fold with a spatula until completely coated. Let stand 15 minutes. Fold again. Add up to 1 cup additional chicken broth if needed.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish and bake until bread is golden; 35-45 minutes.
Share this Recipe