Millet Arugula Salad with Almonds and Beets
- CourseSides & Salads
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup Millet, cooked
- 2 Beets
- 1/2 cup Almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup + 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- • Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Method: - Clean and quarter beets, wrap in tinfoil and roast for 30-60 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. When they’ve cooled enough to handle, peel off skins and chop into one inch squares - While beets are roasting prepare salad dressing by combining lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and garlic clove in a small bowl and mixing. Set aside. - Prepare millet according to package instructions (here is another great resource for millet cooking instructions!) - In a medium serving bowl combine arugula and millet, mix well with dressing. The millet will soak up the dressing and become extra flavorful. Add beets, chopped almonds and serve immediately!
- Wash, peel and chop beets into 1" pieces. Toss in a bowl with 4 tablespoons olive oil and sea salt and pepper. Place the beets on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Prepare salad dressing by combining remaining olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and parmesan cheese in a shaker or mixing bowl and shake or whisk until well blended.
- Place the millet in a pot with two cups of cold water. Bring to boil, then turn the heat down to low and cover the pot. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the millet is tender. Add 1/4 cup of salad dressing and stir well with a fork to completely coat the millet in the dressing. Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Combine cooled millet, arugula, beets and almonds in a bowl. Toss with desired amount of salad dressing and serve.
Share this Recipe