Apple Cider Donuts
- 2 1/2 cups Organic raw apple cider
- 1/2 cup Organic apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup Organic apple butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces Organic unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Organic or maple sugar
- 1 large egg, preferably pastured or organic
- 3 1/4 cups TYH Sprouted White Wheat Flour or Gluten-Free Baking Mix
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Organic coconut or avocado oil, naturally rendered lard or beef tallow Enough for 2-inch depth in Dutch oven.
- Pumpkin-Cinnamon Spice, Buttermilk Glaze, or Maple-Vanilla Glaze
- Combine apple cider and grated apple in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1/2 cup (about 25 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Stir in apple butter, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add egg and beat until combined.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with apple cider mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat on low just until blended after each addition.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll into a 12- x 9-inch rectangle, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Heat preferred fat up to 2 inches into a large Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut dough using a 2 1/2-inch round doughnut cutter. Use a 1-inch round cutter to cut out the middle of dough rounds, reserving the cutouts as doughnut holes. Re-roll scraps once (any more may result in dense doughnuts).
- Fry in batches until golden brown, about 1 minute per side for doughnuts and 45 seconds per side for holes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate. Toss warm doughnuts in Pumpkin-Cinnamon Spice. Or cool to room temperature and dip in Buttermilk Glaze or Maple-Vanilla icing.
Pumpkin-Cinnamon Spice - In a medium bowl whisk together 1 cup organic or maple sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each, ground cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
Buttermilk Glaze - In a large bowl whisk together 1 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar (make your own in blender or processor: blend 1 cup organic sugar with 2 tablespoons arrowroot until powdery fine), 3 tablespoons organic whole buttermilk, and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt.
Maple-Vanilla Icing - In a large bowl whisk together 2 cups organic powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 tablespoon whole organic or raw milk, and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt.
Share this Recipe