Sprouted Honey-Walnut Bars
- CourseCakes & Cookies, Dessert
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted organic butter, cut into 1/2" dice
- 1 1/2 cups organic sprouted flour of choice
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
Walnut Caramel Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup organic light brown sugar (can substitute coconut sap sugar)
- 1/4 cup organic dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream
- 1 cup walnut halves plus 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Line a 9x13” glass or ceramic pan with parchment paper, allowing 1” of overhang on the long sides.
- For shortbread - In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix the cold butter with flour, sugar, and salt at medium speed until a crumbly dough forms (about 6 minutes). Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan in an even layer. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake the shortbread for 25 minutes until golden brown. Rotate the pan from front to back halfway through baking. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- For walnut caramel – In a medium saucepan melt the butter over moderate heat. Whisk in the honey, both sugars and salts and the vanilla. Cook stirring occasionally, until the caramel reaches 220 degrees on a candy thermometer (2-3 minutes). Carefully add the cream and cook until the mixture reaches 238 degrees (3-4 minutes). Stir in all the walnuts and cook until fragrant and toasty and slightly thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Pour the walnut caramel over the shortbread and let cool completely. Using the parchment paper, lift onto a cutting board. Cut into bars and serve.
Share this Recipe