Peggy’s Best Batter Bread Recipe
- CourseBatter Breads
- 3 cups organic sprouted flour (your choice)
- 2 cups organic whole buttermilk or kefir (possibly more)
- 3 organic eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted
- • Herbs, spices, or fruit of choice
- Mix flour and buttermilk into a batter in a large bowl.
- Thoroughly blend in remaining ingredients. If you end up with a dough instead of batter, add additional buttermilk one tablespoon at a time until you have a nice, thick batter (not nearly as thin as pancake batter).
- Pour into a well-buttered and floured 9x5 plus a smaller loaf pan (I always doubled the recipe which makes 3 9x5 loaves of bread, so you will have extra batter for a smaller loaf pan or a few muffins if making a single recipe).
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and remove from loaf pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Great for slicing and toasting.
MY FAVORITE ADDED EXTRAS:
• Apricot Almond - add 1 tablespoon almond extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon apricot oil (optional), 1/2 cup chopped organic, unsulfured apricots. Sprinkle top of loaf with sliced almonds before baking.
• Cinnamon Raisin - add 2 heaping tablespoons ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon cinnamon oil (optional), and 1 cup organic raisins.
• Lemon Poppy Seed - add 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon lemon oil (optional), 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
• Rosemary Walnut - add 1 1/2 teaspoons ground organic rosemary, 1 1/2 teaspoons whole rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon ground sage. Sprinkle top of loaf with 1/2 cup chopped walnuts before baking.
• Herb Loaf - add 1 1/2 teaspoons organic dill, 1 teaspoon organic tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon each organic oregano, basil, and thyme.