Banjo’s Cast Iron Sprouted Cornbread
- CourseBatter Breads, Bread
- 1 1/2 cups organic sprouted yellow corn meal
- 1 cup organic sprouted white wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup whole fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter to grease cast iron
- Place a 12” cast iron skillet in middle rack of oven and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet while in oven.
- In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg then add sour cream and buttermilk. Stir well until all is incorporated.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Add 6 tablespoons of melted butter and stir again just until mixed thoroughly.
- Remove skillet from oven and swirl the melted butter to evenly distribute in pan. Pour batter in skillet and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, slice and serve. Great with soups and stews and lots of butter.
Share this Recipe
Sprouted Bourbon Peach Cobbler
- 12 cups peach slices (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed organic light brown sugar (or coconut sap sugar)
- 3 tablespoons organic sprouted flour of choice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons bourbon or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic sprouted white wheat flour (can substitute g-f sprouted flour*)
- 3/4 cup organic sprouted red wheat flour (can substitute g-f sprouted flour*)
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar or sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons very cold unsalted organic butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup organic whole buttermilk plus more for brushing
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9”x13” glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Combine peaches, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and pinch of salt in a large bowl. Transfer to the baking dish. Drizzle with bourbon or vanilla. Tightly cover with foil and bake until the fruit is steaming. About 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the other flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and rub with your fingers or use a pastry cutter until the pieces are smaller in size, but visible.
- When the peaches are steaming, add buttermilk over the flour mixture and stir with a fork until just combined. Dollop the topping on top of the hot fruit. Lightly brush the dough with buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Let cool about 15 minutes before serving. Great with vanilla ice cream!
*Baker’s note: I recommend sprouted sorghum flour for a gluten-free version to get the same taste profile as sprouted wheat flour.
Share this Recipe