- 5 cups of organic sprouted flour (see below for varieties)
- 2 1/4 cups organic whole buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/2 cup organic unsalted melted butter (plus extra for greasing pan and brushing tops of crackers)
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets.
- Place flour and buttermilk in stand mixer and blend until slightly stiff dough forms.
- Add melted butter, baking powder, salt, and flavoring (see below). Blend well.
- Taking a fourth of the dough at a time, roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Using a knife or pizza wheel, cut crackers into squares.
- Place close together on a lightly buttered baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with extra melted butter.
- For dried crackers place in oven on lowest possible temperature (around 150 degrees).
- Leave in oven all day or overnight until completely dried. Will be crispy and full of flavor.
- For baked crackers place in oven preheated to 300 degrees.
- Bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Reduce heat to 200 degrees and let crackers continue to bake until completely dried and crispy (about 2 – 2 ½ additional hours).
Sprouted Flour Combinations:
all wheat, spelt (will be very crumbley), barley, kamut or mix. All sprouted sorghum flour w/¼ cup sprouted amaranth, equal amounts of sprouted oat and sorghum flour. Be creative.
Rosemary/Walnut – to basic recipe add 2 tablespoons of ground rosemary, 1 tbsp. dried rosemary leaves, and ¼ teaspoon of walnut oil.
Sesame/Poppy Seed – add 2 tablespoons each of Sesame and Poppy Seeds
Cinnamon – add 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. cinnamon oil, and ¾ cup organic or maple sugar.
Cracked Pepper – add 2 tablespoons of cracked peppercorns. Sprinkle tops with pink Himalayan salt.
Herbed – add 1 ½ tablespoons dried dill, 1 teaspoon each basil, thyme, oregano, and tarragon.