TYH’s Bread Recipe
(Makes 1 large, or 2 small loaves) This is a great batter bread that will result in a wonderful bread for slicing and toasting. Not suitable for sandwiches. If your dough runs on the dry side, increase your liquid 2 tablespoons at a time until you get the consistency you want.
- 3 cups organic sprouted flour ( you can use gluten containing or gluten-free flour)
- 2 cups organic whole buttermilk (can substitute water or non-dairy liquid of choice)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted
- Mix flour and buttermilk into a batter by hand, in electric stand mixer or in food processor.
- Thoroughly blend in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a well-buttered and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1 ½ hours, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
NOTE: You may need to experiment with oven temps and time. You can tent the loaf tops with foil and lower temp to 325 degrees for a longer baking time if center is doughy and tops brown before center is done.
Our favorite flavors:
Apricot Almond – add 1 Tbsp. almond extract, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, ½ tsp. apricot oil (optional), ½ cup chopped organic, unsulfured apricots, and sprinkle top of loaf with sliced, organic crispy almonds before baking.
Cinnamon Raisin – add 2 heaping Tbsp. organic ground cinnamon, 1 Tbsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. Cinnamon oil (optional), and 1 cup organic raisins
Lemon Poppy Seed – add 1 ½ Tbsp. lemon flavoring, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 Tbsp. powdered organic lemon peel, 1 tsp. lemon oil (optional), 1 Tbsp. organic poppy seeds
Rosemary Walnut – add 1 ½ tsp. ground organic rosemary, 1 ½ tsp. whole organic rosemary, and ½ tsp. ground organic sage. Sprinkle top of loaf with chopped, organic crispy walnuts before baking.
Herb Loaf – add 1 ½ tsp. organic dill, 1 tsp. organic tarragon, ½ tsp. each organic oregano, basil, and thyme.