- 4 cups sprouted white wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2/3 cup natural lard, cold, cut into chunks
- 1 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons hot water
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; stir well.
- Cut in lard with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually stir in 1 ¼ cups of water, mixing well.
- Add remaining water one tablespoon at a time only if dough is too dry to handle.
- Let dough sit on counter, covered, for about an hour before pressing.
- Shape dough into 1 ½-inch balls; roll each out on a lightly floured surface into a very thin circle (or use a tortilla press following recommended directions).
- Circles should be about 6 inches in diameter.
- Heat an ungreased iron skillet or griddle to medium heat (about 375 degrees); cook tortillas about 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Pat tortillas lightly with spatula while browning the second side if they puff during cooking.
Share this Recipe