Aromatic Sprouted Lentil Salad with Bacon
- 2 cups sprouted dried lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces bacon (or pancetta), chopped (I use 6-8 oz.)
- 6 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Celtic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place sprouted lentils and bay leaves in a large saucepan.
- Cover with water to 2 inches above lentils; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Discard bay leaves.
- Heat a large skillet over medium–high heat.
- Add bacon or pancetta; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. (I’m a bacon fan so sometimes I’ll fry about 8 oz.)
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. Add cabbage to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the lentils and cabbage in a large bowl. Combine vinegar and the remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. (I place in a small jar with lid and shake vigorously.)
- Pour vinaigrette over lentil mixture; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Yield: 12 ¾-cup servings.
Share this Recipe