Sally Fallon’s Pancakes
- 2 cups whole grain flour (spelt or wheat)
- 2 cups buttermilk, kefir or yogurt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tsp teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tbsp melted organic butter
- Soak whole grain flour in buttermilk, kefir or yogurt in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours. (Those with milk allergies may use 2 cups filtered water plus 2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice or vinegar in place of undiluted buttermilk, kefir or yogurt.)
- Stir in other ingredients and thin to desired consistency with water.
- Cook on a hot, oiled griddle or in a cast-iron skillet. These pancakes cook more slowly than unsoaked flour or white flour pancakes.The texture will be chewy and the taste pleasantly sour.
- Serve with melted butter and maple or sorghum syrup, raw honey, berry syrup, or apricot butter.
NOTE: When using sprouted flour, it’s not
necessary to soak flour in buttermilk, but will add to leavening and taste.
Share this Recipe