Bacon and Cheddar Corn Muffins
- 6 bacon slices
- 2 cups sprouted organic yellow corn flour
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar or sucanat
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole organic buttermilk, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 large egg, organic or pastured
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (organic or raw)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 12-14 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon to paper towel to drain. Crumble.
- Heat a 12-cup stoneware or stainless steel muffin pan in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Combine corn flour, baking powder and soda, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Stir together 1 ½ cups buttermilk and egg; add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- If dough is dry add additional buttermilk one tablespoon at a time just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in melted butter, cheese, and bacon. Remove pan from oven and brush with melted butter to coat.
- Spoon batter into hot muffin pan, filling almost completely full.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pan to a wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes.
NOTE: Heating the muffin pan beforehand results in a nice crispy bottom. You may choose to skip this step.
Scrambled Egg Muffin Sliders: Prepare recipe as directed. Whisk together 8 large eggs, 1 tablespoon heavy cream, and ½ teaspoon Creole seasoning in a medium bowl. Melt 3 tablespoons butter (or use bacon drippings) in a large skillet. Add egg mixture and cook as you would scrambled eggs. Cut muffins in half and spoon eggs over bottom halves. Cover with top halves of muffins.
Ham and Swiss Corn Muffins: Substitute Swiss cheese for Cheddar cheese and 1 cup diced cooked ham for bacon. Brown ham in small amount of melted butter for 5-6 minutes. Proceed as directed, whisking in 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard with buttermilk and egg.
Southwestern Chile-Cheese Corn Muffins: Omit bacon. Substitute pepper Jack cheese for Cheddar cheese. Proceed as directed, stirring in 1 (4.5 oz.) can, or fresh, chopped green chiles, drained, with cheese and butter.