Peggy’s Basic Batter Bread Gets A Creative Twist
When I created the To Your Health Sprouted Bread recipe in 2005 it was my effort to achieve a great tasting, finely textured batter bread for home bakers who didn’t have the time for yeasted breads, nor the experience, but still enjoyed great tasting bread that would be quick and easy to make. From this basic recipe I’ve enjoyed adding creative ingredients that can simply be stirred into the batter before baking to enhance the taste and occasion for good sprouted bread.
Last weekend was somewhat rainy so I decided to stay indoors and “play” in my kitchen. I baked my sprouted bread recipe with chopped dates and pecans and flavored it with apple pie spice. This combination turned out nicely and the flavor is terrific! I’m even thinking crumbled crisply cooked bacon would make a great substitute for the pecans. Can’t wait for my next “play” day!
To Your Health Sprouted Bread
- 3 cups TYH organic sprouted flour (Your choice. This recipe works great with our gluten-free or gluten flours.)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups whole buttermilk, preferably organic
- 3 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup organic butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease one large or two small loaf pans.
Place flour, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir to blend.
Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Stir in buttermilk, honey, and butter. (I let the buttermilk and eggs come to room temperature before making recipe.) Add wet ingredients to bowl containing dry ingredients.
Stir well to blend. Your ingredients should make a nice batter.
Add your favorite combination of flavors listed below or create your own. This bread is great with nothing added, too.
Bake for about 50 minutes on middle rack or until a toothpick test comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in loaf pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and continue cooling about 15 minutes more before slicing. Great with lots of butter.
Variations to try:
- Add 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and 1 cup of raisins
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple pie spice, 1 tablespoon vanilla, ½ cup each chopped dates and pecans
- Add 1 tablespoon almond extract, and ½ cup each chopped dried apricots and almonds
- Add 1 tablespoon ground rosemary, ½ cup each chopped dates and crumbled crisp-cooked bacon
- Add 1 tablespoon dried dill, 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and tarragon, and 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add 1 tablespoon chocolate extract and ½ cup each chopped dried cherries and dark chocolate.