- 1/2 cup organic sprouted barley
- 1/2 cup organic sprouted brown rice
- 1 cup cooked sprouted black beans (or canned), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned organic kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked organic corn kernels, divided
- 1/2 cup organic green onions, chopped
- 1 organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh organic cilantro, chopped
- 8 leaves organic lettuce, preferably Romaine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup organic olive oil
- Soak barley in filtered water overnight to rehydrate. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of filtered water to a boil. Stir in barley and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- In another medium saucepan bring 1 ½ cups filtered water to a boil and add the rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled barley, rice, black beans, kidney beans, corn, onions, red bell pepper and cilantro. Mix well.
- To make dressing: In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, garlic, chili powder, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Whisk in oil and pour over salad and toss well. Transfer to a lettuce-lined bowl or portion onto lettuce-lined salad plates to serve.
Share this Recipe