- 3 cups of TYH Sprouted Black Beans
- 3 cups organic apple cider or juice
- 8 ounces thick-sliced bacon
- 2 small organic yellow onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 cup sorghum or cane syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place sprouted black beans in large bowl and cover with filtered water at least 3 inches above beans.
- Let beans soak at least 24 hours to reduce cooking time.
- Drain beans and transfer to a large Dutch oven.
- Add 3 cups of cider or juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Gently boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove from heat. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Layer half of thick-sliced bacon on the bottom of Dutch oven or bean pot. Spoon beans on top. Nestle onions in beans.
- Heat syrup, mustard and salt until salt dissolves. Pour mixture over beans. Top with remaining bacon.
- Add reserved cider liquid. If necessary add water or additional cider (I add more cider) to cover all.
- Cover bean mixture and bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours, adding cider as needed.
- Bake 2 more hours until beans are tender.
Share this Recipe