- 1 cup chopped organic sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped organic celery
- 1 tablespoon dried sage (or 2 tbsp. fresh)
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or lard
- 2 cups sprouted yellow corn flour or cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 2 cups whole buttermilk (organic or raw)
- 1/2 cup sprouted flour (your choice)
- 2 large organic or pastured eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar (optional)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute onion, celery, and sage in butter or lard in a 12" cast-iron skillet over medium heat 8–10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from skillet.
- Stir together corn flour, baking soda and powder, salt and pepper, flour, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter just until moistened.
- Stir in onion mixture and chicken just until blended.
- Pour batter into hot 12" skillet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown.
NOTE: A fresh garden salad makes this a great springtime supper.
Share this Recipe