- CourseBatter Breads, Holiday Recipes
- 1 3/4 cups organic sprouted cornmeal
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs, organic or pastured
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 cups whole fat organic buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp organic butter or bacon grease melted – plus extra to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Generously grease a 10” cast iron skillet with bacon grease or butter.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, honey, buttermilk, and melted butter or bacon grease.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined, careful not to overwork the batter. Pour batter into greased cast iron and place in oven.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving with butter.
- Great accompaniment to hearty soups and stews as the days get shorter and cooler.
Mix your favorite chopped fresh herbs into the batter for a dinner bread.
Try making these in muffin pans for a brunch item or to pack in a lunchbox. (Note: cooking time will be shorter for muffins, depending on the size of the muffin tin used. Set timer for 8 minutes, and if they're not quite done, check in 1-2 minute increments for doneness.)
Share this Recipe