- 1 cup whole organic or raw milk
- 2 tablespoons organic butter or lard
- 1 tablespoon muscavado or coconut sap sugar
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 large egg, preferably pastured or organic
- 3 cups sprouted red wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Coconut oil, beef tallow, or lard
- Powdered rapadura
- Combine milk, butter or lard, and sugars in a saucepan; cook over low heat until butter melts, stirring often.
- Cool to about 105°.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in yeast; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in egg.
- Combine flour, salt, and nutmeg; add 1/2 cup to yeast mixture.
- Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Stir in enough of remaining flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl,turning to grease top.
- Cover and let dough rise in a warm place (85°) about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough; turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 4 or 5 times.
- Roll dough to a 15 x 12" rectangle; cut into 20 3" squares (I use a pizza wheel).
- Cut each square in half diagonally, forming triangles.
- Place on a floured surface; cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Melt oil or fat to a depth of 3" in a Dutch oven.
- Heat to 375°.
- Fry beignets, 4 or 5 at a time, about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain well on paper towels; sprinkle with powdered rapadura or maple sugar.
- Serve warm. Yield: 40 beignets.
Share this Recipe