- 1 quart Beef tallow or lard, naturally rendered
- 1 1/2 cups sprouted yellow corn flour or cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sprouted flour (your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic salt
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 large organic or pastured egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups whole organic buttermilk
- Heat beef tallow to 375 degrees.
- Combine sprouted corn flour and next 5 ingredients.
- Add egg and buttermilk; stir just until moistened.
- If too dry add buttermilk one tablespoon at a time until all ingredients are moistened. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into hot tallow (in small batches) and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
A. Increase onion to 1 ½ cups and add about 8 oz. crisp crumbled bacon to batter.
B. Add ½ cup chopped green pepper to batter.
C. Add ½ cup well drained chopped pineapple and a chopped jalapeno to batter.
D. Add1 cup organic fresh corn kernels and 1 cup chopped green olives to batter.
E. The possibilities are endless and delicious!
Share this Recipe