- 1 cup organic butter, softened
- 1/2 cup lard, softened*
- 3 cups maple sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 6 large organic or pastured eggs
- 3 cups sprouted white wheat, brown rice, or sorghum flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic salt
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (I use 1 tablespoon for a nice lime zing)
- 1/4 cup fresh Key lime juice
- * If substituting coconut oil for lard, reduce amount to ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon
Key Lime Glaze
- 1 cup Powdered rapadura
- 2 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Pour over cooled cake immediately.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup tube pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and lard at medium speed (can use stand mixer, hand mixer, or mix by hand) until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together sprouted flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour batter into tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
Share this Recipe