- 2 1/2 cups organic sprouted flour of choice (Kamut works very well)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar, divided
- 1 cup finely grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup very cold organic butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons very cold organic heavy cream
- 4-5 tablespoons ice-cold filtered water
- 3 1/5 pounds organic or pesticide-free Bartlett pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup firmly packed organic light-brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons fresh organic lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh resemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large organic or pastured egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pulse first 2 ingredients and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor 3-4 times or until combined. Add cheese and butter. Pulse 10-12 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drizzle cream and water over mixture. Pulse 4-5 times or just until moist clumps form. Divide dough in half and flatten into disks. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and chill 30-60 minutes.
- In a large bowl stir together pears, next 6 ingredients, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Roll 1 dough disk into a 12 ½-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch pie plate. Fold edges under and crimp. Spoon pear mixture into crust.
- Roll remaining dough disk to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface and cut into 6 2 ½-inch strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling. Press ends of strips into crust sealing to bottom crust and crimp. (Note: if you don’t want to be bothered with making a lattice top, follow instructions for bottom crust and prick holes in top before baking.)
- Whisk egg and 2 tablespoons of water. Brush top crust with mixture.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, shielding with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let cool on a wire rack 1 hour before serving.
Share this Recipe