- 10 slices (nitrite/nitrate–free) bacon, chopped
- 2 medium organic onions, chopped
- 6 cloves organic garlic, chopped
- 2-3 cups homemade or organic chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5oz.) organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fermented ketchup
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cups cooked sprouted Black Beans*
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ lime
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Sliced scallions for garnish
- Sour Cream for garnish
- Grated Cheddar for garnish
- Put the bacon into a large heavy pot and place it over medium heat.
- Cook until it starts to give up its fat, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the onions and cook, stirring until they start to turn translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, and chili powder.
- Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring all to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15–20 minutes to blend flavors and thicken soup.
- Stir in the limejuice.
- Serve with garnishes and your favorite sprouted bread or crackers.
- NOTE: Measure your 4 cups of black beans for this recipe after they've been cooked, not as dried beans.
*To cook sprouted black beans: Place 4 cups of dried sprouted black beans in a pot with 2 quarts of cold filtered water. Add 1 teaspoon of sea salt (optional). Bring water to a boil. Stir beans, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Check the consistency of the beans (they’ll cook quicker than un–sprouted dry beans) after 30 minutes. Extend the cooking time until beans have reached the tenderness you prefer.
Share this Recipe