- 1 cup sprouted organic brown rice or white wheat flour
- 1 cup sprouted organic yellow corn meal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large pastured or organic eggs
- 3/4 cup raw or organic whole fat buttermilk (can substitute coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup rendered lard, bacon grease, or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons raw or organic butter
- Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl. Add buttermilk and water. Whisk until all liquid is combined well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just to combine well.
- Heat fat and butter in a cast-iron over medium-high heat until melted and hot. Using a ladle or ¼ cup measure, drop batter into pan (like pancakes) and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side. Place on a plate and keep warm while repeating cooking step with the remainder of batter.
Share this Recipe