- CourseHoliday Recipes, Pies & Pastries
- 2 1/2 cups TYH Sprouted White Wheat Flour or Gluten-Free Baking Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup each organic unsalted butter and lard cut into small cubes and freeze for 15-20 minutes
- 5 tablespoons ice water, maybe more
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 organic egg, mixed with 1 teaspoon of water
- Blend flour, sugar, and salt in food processor.
- Add butter and lard. Pulsing the processor, blend until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.
- Add 5 tablespoons of ice water and mix with a fork until dough begins to clump together, adding more water by teaspoons if dry.
- Gather dough together. Divide in half and flatten each half into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour. You can make the dough ahead and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Heat a skillet over medium-heat. Add the diced apples, butter, brown sugar and spices to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the butter is melted and the apples are just soft, but not mushy, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and transfer the apple filling to a mixing bowl to cool. Set aside and let come to room temperature.
To Bake Pies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a well-floured work surface roll the pie dough disks into 2 rounds about 12” in diameter and 1/8” thick. Using a 3” to 4” star shaped cookie cutter, cut out 12 stars total and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cooled pie filling to the center of one star, then gently place another star on top. Using a fork, crimp the edges to seal in the filling. Using the tip of a knife, cut a ½” long slit in the top of the stars. Repeat with remaining stars
- Brush each of the stars with egg wash then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let stars cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Share this Recipe