- 2.25 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1.12 cups warm water about 110°F)
- 0.5 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs preferably organic or pastured
- 1 cup Organic evaporated milk
- 6 cups sprouted white wheat flour plus more for rolling dough
- 0.25 cup naturally rendered lard melted
- 1 quart coconut oil, avocado oil, beef tallow, or lard for frying
- Organic confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk. Blend well (I use my stand mixer). Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth.
- Add the shortening and remaining 2 cups of flour*. You can cover and chill the dough from here if you want to fry it up later.
- Generously flour counter. Roll out dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2-inch squares using a pizza wheel. Fry in 360° hot oil. Beignets will pop up quickly. Turn to brown both sides, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Only fry a few at a time to keep your oil hot. Drain on paper towels.
- Dust generously with confectioner’s sugar or place hot beignets in a zip lock filled with sugar and shake well to coat. Serve warm. Heavenly!
- *You should only need 6 cups of sprouted flour, depending on how shaggy your dough is after adding the 6th cup. I add 6 cups then refrigerate the dough. It is always just right the next morning and I use a generous amount of flour on my rolling surface to perfect the dough.
Share this Recipe