- 2 cups sprouted purple corn flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic salt
- 1 1/8 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup lard
- Mix all ingredients well until a dough ball forms (about 3 minutes). If dough is a little crumbly add a tablespoon of water at a time until dough holds together well. Let dough sit, covered, for about 2 hours. Uncover and separate dough into sixteen pieces. Form the pieces into small, slightly flattened balls.
- Place a floured plastic bag (gallon-sized zip lock) on a bread board. Place a ball of dough on top, then top this with another floured plastic bag and roll the tortilla out with a rolling pin. You can also use a tortilla press in place of the rolling pin. Slowly remove the top plastic bag, flip the tortilla over into your hand and slowly remove the second plastic bag.
- Place a dry iron skillet on a burner set at medium heat. Place a tortilla on the skillet. Once you begin to see some bubbles appear, take a spatula and flip the tortilla over to cook on the other side. Once the second side is a little browned, remove it from the skillet and place on a plate. Repeat the process and simply stack your finished tortillas. Store in a zip lock bag. I refrigerate mine if not using them all.
Share this Recipe