- CourseHoliday Recipes, Soups & Stews
- 4 Tbsp organic butter
- 12 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 pounds organic butternut squash, peeled and chopped (see instructions below)
- 1 ham bone or ½ pound ham, chopped
- 1 - 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups homemade or organic chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cut butternut squash in half, brush cut sides with coconut oil. Bake in 350-degree oven about 40-45 minutes. Let cool. Peel, seed, and chop.
- In soup pot add butter and chopped green onions. Saute 2-3 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add garlic and red bell pepper and saute for additional 3 minutes.
- Add ham bone or ham, tomatoes, chicken stock, spices, fresh herbs, and chopped squash. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir well and let simmer about 45 – 60 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, stirring well.
Great with cornbread topped with pickled beets, coarse black pepper, and goat cheese.
Or try garnished with sprouted popcorn and served with sprouted pumpkin seeds for a delicious fall meal.
Share this Recipe