Yeasted Buttermilk Bread
- 4 cups spelt, kamut® or hard winter wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- Combine flour, 1 cup buttermilk and butter in a food processor until a ball forms. If dough is too thick, add more buttermilk, but it should be thick enough to form a ball. Place in a bowl, cover with a towel and leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours.
- Combine water, yeast and honey in a small bowl and leave for 5 minutes or until it bubbles. Add salt and baking soda and mix well. Place half the flour mixture, half the yeast mixture and ½ cup unbleached white flour in a food processor. Process until a smooth ball forms. Repeat with the other half of dough, yeast mixture and white flour.
- Knead the two balls together briefly and place in a buttered bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down, cut the dough in half and process each half in a food processor for30 seconds each.
- Form into loaves and place in buttered loaf pans (preferably stoneware). Cover with a towel and let rise 1-2 hours, until doubled.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool on racks.
This is a good compromise bread that can be sliced and used for sandwiches.
Yeast is used, but the flour is soaked in buttermilk first.
Share this Recipe
Amber’s Sprouted Flour Sandwich Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup honey can use as little as 1 tablespoon
- 3 tablespoons vital gluten (optional)
- 4 cups sprouted flour
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- Add all ingredients to bread machine in order listed.
- Set machine on wheat/light/1.5-lb loaf.
Share this Recipe