- 5 cups sprouted flour of choice
- 2 1/4 cups organic whole buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Place flour and buttermilk in stand mixer with dough blade and blend until slightly stiff dough forms. Add melted butter, baking powder, salt, and flavoring of choice (see notes below). Blend well.
- Take a fourth of the dough at a time and roll out to about 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface. Using a knife or pizza wheel, cut crackers into squares.
- Place close together (can touch) on a lightly buttered baking sheet and place in oven on lowest possible temperature (around 150-170 degrees) and dry the dough until crisp (overnight). For a baked version, place crackers in 300-degree oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 degrees for 2-2 ½ hours. Either method, crackers will be crispy and full of flavor.
- NOTE: For a rich fermented flavor mix flour and buttermilk. Cover and let stand on counter overnight. Then add rest of ingredients.
My favorite variations:
Rosemary/Walnut – to basic recipe add 2 rounded tablespoons of ground rosemary, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves and ¼ teaspoon of walnut oil.
Sesame/Poppy Seed – add 2 tablespoons each of sesame and poppy seeds
Cinnamon – add 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon cinnamon oil, and ¾ cup organic sugar or maple sugar.
Cracked Pepper – add 2 tablespoons of cracked black, green, or pink peppercorns.
Herbed – Add 1 ½ tablespoons dried dill, 1 teaspoon each basil, thyme, oregano, and tarragon.
Share this Recipe