Maria Lamb’s Sprouted Pinole
- 1 cup sprouted purple or yellow corn flour
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Toast the sprouted corn flour and chia seeds - Add both ingredients to a dry skillet and toast over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes.
- This step is essential, but can be tricky: If the heat is too low the corn flour won't toast; if too high, it will burn. Keep a constant eye on it and stir regularly.
- Add all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until there are no large chunks of dates remaining.
- If the mixture is too crumbly, add a little more water, 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a thick paste.
- Form the mixture into 3 or 4 rounds, about 3/8" thick and 4-5" in diameter.
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 10-12 minutes until the outside forms a solid crust and begins to show small cracks.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- They can be eaten immediately or saved in the refrigerator for several days.
Share this Recipe
Pumpkin-Date Corn Bread
- 2 cups sprouted flour (your choice)
- 1 cup sprouted yellow corn flour
- 2/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons each aluminum-free baking powder AND baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup mashed organic pumpkin (or canned)
- 1 cup whole organic or raw milk
- 1 cup olive oil or 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 organic or pastured eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease a 5"x9" loaf pan with butter.
- Combine the flour, corn flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in the dates, then the pumpkin, milk, oil, and eggs until well blended.
- Pour into pan. Bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- *Variations: Substitute 1 cup golden or brown raisins for the dates or add 3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans or macadamia nuts.
*Can substitute 1 cup water w/1 teaspoon lemon juice
Share this Recipe