Daddy’s Favorite Pie
- 2 tbsp sprouted wheat or spelt flour
- 1 cup maple or date sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or flavoring
- 1 sprouted pie crust
- Add flour and salt to sugar in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, blending well (I use a whisk).
- Add melted butter and blend.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla and blend.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35–40 minutes. Always great!
TYH’s Bread Recipe
(Makes 1 large, or 2 small loaves) This is a great batter bread that will result in a wonderful bread for slicing and toasting. Not suitable for sandwiches. If your dough runs on the dry side, increase your liquid 2 tablespoons at a time until you get the consistency you want.
- 3 cups organic sprouted flour ( you can use gluten containing or gluten-free flour)
- 2 cups organic whole buttermilk (can substitute water or non-dairy liquid of choice)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted
- Mix flour and buttermilk into a batter by hand, in electric stand mixer or in food processor.
- Thoroughly blend in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a well-buttered and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1 ½ hours, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
NOTE: You may need to experiment with oven temps and time. You can tent the loaf tops with foil and lower temp to 325 degrees for a longer baking time if center is doughy and tops brown before center is done.
Our favorite flavors:
Apricot Almond – add 1 Tbsp. almond extract, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, ½ tsp. apricot oil (optional), ½ cup chopped organic, unsulfured apricots, and sprinkle top of loaf with sliced, organic crispy almonds before baking.
Cinnamon Raisin – add 2 heaping Tbsp. organic ground cinnamon, 1 Tbsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. Cinnamon oil (optional), and 1 cup organic raisins
Lemon Poppy Seed – add 1 ½ Tbsp. lemon flavoring, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 Tbsp. powdered organic lemon peel, 1 tsp. lemon oil (optional), 1 Tbsp. organic poppy seeds
Rosemary Walnut – add 1 ½ tsp. ground organic rosemary, 1 ½ tsp. whole organic rosemary, and ½ tsp. ground organic sage. Sprinkle top of loaf with chopped, organic crispy walnuts before baking.
Herb Loaf – add 1 ½ tsp. organic dill, 1 tsp. organic tarragon, ½ tsp. each organic oregano, basil, and thyme.
Sally Fallon’s Pancakes
- 2 cups whole grain flour (spelt or wheat)
- 2 cups buttermilk, kefir or yogurt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tsp teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tbsp melted organic butter
- Soak whole grain flour in buttermilk, kefir or yogurt in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours. (Those with milk allergies may use 2 cups filtered water plus 2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice or vinegar in place of undiluted buttermilk, kefir or yogurt.)
- Stir in other ingredients and thin to desired consistency with water.
- Cook on a hot, oiled griddle or in a cast-iron skillet. These pancakes cook more slowly than unsoaked flour or white flour pancakes.The texture will be chewy and the taste pleasantly sour.
- Serve with melted butter and maple or sorghum syrup, raw honey, berry syrup, or apricot butter.
NOTE: When using sprouted flour, it’s not
necessary to soak flour in buttermilk, but will add to leavening and taste.