- 1 quart Beef tallow or lard, naturally rendered
- 1 1/2 cups sprouted yellow corn flour or cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sprouted flour (your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic salt
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 large organic or pastured egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups whole organic buttermilk
- Heat beef tallow to 375 degrees.
- Combine sprouted corn flour and next 5 ingredients.
- Add egg and buttermilk; stir just until moistened.
- If too dry add buttermilk one tablespoon at a time until all ingredients are moistened. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into hot tallow (in small batches) and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
A. Increase onion to 1 ½ cups and add about 8 oz. crisp crumbled bacon to batter.
B. Add ½ cup chopped green pepper to batter.
C. Add ½ cup well drained chopped pineapple and a chopped jalapeno to batter.
D. Add1 cup organic fresh corn kernels and 1 cup chopped green olives to batter.
E. The possibilities are endless and delicious!
Share this Recipe
Chicken & Cornbread Dressing
- 1 cup chopped organic sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped organic celery
- 1 tablespoon dried sage (or 2 tbsp. fresh)
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or lard
- 2 cups sprouted yellow corn flour or cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 2 cups whole buttermilk (organic or raw)
- 1/2 cup sprouted flour (your choice)
- 2 large organic or pastured eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar (optional)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute onion, celery, and sage in butter or lard in a 12" cast-iron skillet over medium heat 8–10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from skillet.
- Stir together corn flour, baking soda and powder, salt and pepper, flour, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter just until moistened.
- Stir in onion mixture and chicken just until blended.
- Pour batter into hot 12" skillet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown.
NOTE: A fresh garden salad makes this a great springtime supper.
Share this Recipe