Paula’s Tomato Grits
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 1/2 cups whole organic milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sprouted yellow corn grits
- 9 tablespoons organic butter
- 3-4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- • One can organic diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Gradually add the grits and stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 8 tablespoons of butter stirring until melted.
- Cover and continue to cook grits until thick and creamy, about 3-4 more minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over moderate heat, add the scallions, and stir until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the scallions to the grits along with the garlic powder and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the tomatoes with chiles, stirring until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into a shallow buttered 2-quart baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and continue baking till golden, about 10 minutes.
- Serve it up hot. Great with spicy grilled or boiled shrimp.
Share this Recipe